Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Black Hat Leprechaun

He was a little man all dressed in green, with small black boots, a back belt and wearing a tall black hat. He appeared before me with his hands on his hips, looking pretty serious to be true.. but then (all of a sudden) he started to laugh.

He laughed rolling to the East and rolling to the South.. He laughed kicking his legs and rolling to the North... and rolling to the West.. and then he got pretty serious again - the little man that he was - as he put his hands on his hips and looked at me as though I had appeared in front of him out of nowhere (so to speak).

"..and where is your hat?" he asked.
Looking me up and down with the most serious gaze I ever saw.
"I don't have a hat!" I replied. Thinking I must be mad to be answering a Leprechaun.

The little man looked at me with a sad look of pity as he slowly shook his head. "Ach... we had better get you a hat and pretty fast.. " he replied... and I had to follow him into town that day to look for a hat.

The thing is, you never insult a Leprechaun..
Well.. Others may take the chance; but the Celtic people know all kinds of dangers and mayhem can arise when you insult the 'little people'. So, due to my ancestral upbringing I had no choice but to go into town and find a Leprechaun hat...

"What do I need a hat for?" I asked the Leprechaun, trying to be polite.
"I need something to sit on," he replied with a straight face, "I mean.. sitting on your shoulder is not as comfortable as sitting on th' soft brim o' a hat!"
Sitting on my shoulder? What does he mean? I did not dare to ask...

"Ach! Look at that! To be sure, is that not a pretty hat!" the Leprechaun called out dancing and leaping in the air.. I looked around me to make sure no one else could see him, which seemed to be the case - as no one else payed any attention to the large black wide-brim hats.

"look at that! Look at that!" he cried.. and indeed, I looked at the hats in disbelief.
I mean, I had to try them on to be polite to the Leprechaun as I attempted to blend in to the environment - so as not to be noticed '-)

It sure looked strange; but I have to admit the wide brim hats looked good.. it's just that I looked a bit like an Irish Leprechaun disguised as a human.. I mean really! He cannot be serious, I thought.. as the Leprechaun danced a jig...

"It's perfect! It's perfect!" he cried. "It's perfect!" and he danced some more.
"I look like those men-in-black.." I said.
"And, doesn't it look wonderful... " he replied.

As I left the shop with the perfect black wide brim hat I wondered what I had let myself in for? After all .. I try to stay anonymous and not draw attention to myself!!
I prefer not to be noticed .. maybe I could wear the hat only in the house?

Unfortunately, the leprechaun insisted I take the hat out of the bag and put it on.. as the first snow of the year began to fall from the skies above us... Well, it wasn't so bad, as the brim of the hat kept the drifting snowflakes out of my eyes.

The little green Leprechaun sat cross-legged, up front, on the brim of my new hat. "Ach! It's prefect!" he said with a smile.

I quietly walked for some time in the snow until a though came into my mind.
"Should you be sitting up there close to my third-eye?" I asked him.
The Leprechaun shook his head.. "And isn't this the perfect place to sit?" he replied. "That's our place... don't y' know!"

I walked along some more and thought about what he said.. the Celts had a long history with the little people, with the Leprechauns, Elves and the Faeries.. sure enough - the third-eye is the part of the human mind closest to these mysterious realms and mysterious beings. But why had they visited me? Other than that I could see them and few others could...

"Ar' you come from Ireland?" I asked the little man.
The Leprechaun made a sound of disgust.. tschiitt.. and then he and I were quiet..
"Ar' you an Irish Leprechaun?" I asked after some long pause.
"Just call me Seamus," he replied, "cos I am not going to tell you my real name - that's to be sure!"

My boots crunched through the silence in the snow, deep enough for November. Seamus was not quiet for long... "We're immigrating," he said.

Of course!! I thought as much!!
Given the turbulence and land destruction of the Emerald Isle.

"It was bad enough when they were callin' us devills, back in those Middle-Ages." he said. "And do y' know why?" he asked.
"Not really!" I replied.
The Leprechaun laughed a mischievous laugh.. "Ha! Cos we wouldn't give them our gold!" he said. "An' we wouldn't share our magic with them, nor give them any tricks to use. That is why they demonised us, don't y' know."

The little green man with the black hat danced a few vortexes around and laughed aloud. He did not look threatening or dangerous; but one can never take a leprechaun for granted or assume they are to be pushed around - because Leprechauns live for a long long time beyond human lifespans.

"Did y' hear it!" he said putting both hands on his hips and staring me blank in the face as a tiny tinkling bell echoed from every corner around the silence of the falling snow. It's a sound impossible to describe. Tiny bells as loud as anyone could imagine, singing their tones from quantum space.

I did not need to answer, because it was not a question.. there are some realities we are fortunate to experience - if those realities allow us into their world. Man at war with nature is not a good position to be in, no matter who you are. Nature has existed for time unaccounted and the Earthman has not really been around that long at-all...